This morning J woke up and declared he wanted to go to the beach!! Given that we live in the Midlands, beaches are not that easy to come by! Besides this, the weather is rubbish AGAIN! So, we went shopping this morning in search of beach inspiration!!
Once at home, we agreed we should make a beach! All we did was put a plastic bowl in the tray along with one of the plastic hoops. The plastic hoop was there to form a platform for the seating area later on!
We then filled around the objects with sand (which I think was an utter bargain)! Finally, we buried some shells in the sand. We added a couple of cocktail umbrellas (cutting the pointy end off for safety). All that was needed then was some characters, props and water for the pool!
As I’ve said in previous posts, I like to add a fancy dress element to the small worlds we create and J loved his snorkel and goggles today! 🙂 As J played, he decided to delve into his creative station resources (junk) and retrieved some bottle tops for the buckets to make small sandcastles!! That’s my boy!! So all in all, the beach cost us £6 today but these cat litter trays (and all the other things) will make great small worlds in the future so really it was an investment!
J loved it and is in fact loving it as I type! Just got to get the sand up before Daddy comes home!! 😉
What did J learn?
- Using language to imagine and recreate roles and experiences in play.
- Comments and asks questions about the world.
- Create simple representations of events, people and objects.
- Engages in imaginative role-play.
- Builds stories around toys, e.g. ‘naughty girl at the beach’ apparently!
- Uses available resources to create props to support role-play.